“Happiness is attracted with what and how you see the world.”
“Positive mental attitude will attract the health, wealth and happiness you desire. A positive mental attitude consists of such characteristics as faith, hope, charity, optimism, cheer, and generosity”. Napoleon Hill.
To have a content life you need to reprogram your mind in a positive way. You must create a brain/mental fitness and work out these muscles every moment; be in the present and aware of your emotional state. Everything is about practice. It is a state of mind. You don’t have to look for happiness because it is inside you. You possess all the ingredients to make your life more appetizing, tasteful, and better. Happiness doesn’t have anything to do with your age, financial status, occupation, health, body weight, beauty, race, marital status, etc. Happiness is always determined by your own attitude.
Every day you have multiple challenges, and any experience can take you out of your center. I would like to share with you a situation I encountered in January. It was a Sunday night after a pleasant week. On my way home someone stopped me to offer some information (or gossip) which I wasn’t asking for; wasn’t ready to hear; didn’t need or wanted to know. Even though I was in the process of learning that the past is an illusion and should stay in the past, that gossip was a turning point in my life.
My reaction after the episode: I felt like a volcano was erupting inside me, my whole body felt like it was burning! Every single drop of blood was boiling; all my cells wanted to erupt into fire and throw rocks and lava! Unlimited negative thoughts started fighting my mind. I felt humiliated and in constant battle with my whole body because my mind didn’t feel stable. My heart beat was faster and I was breathless. Climbing the stairs to my apartment, I recognized that my best solution was to get into focus and concentrate on my priority of “PEACE, LOVE and HARMONY”.
Because everyone has different perspectives on life, don’t let other people’s comments and opinions ruin your harmony. You are the only one in control to determine what you want to be your space of contentment. “I am giving something and someone too much power to control my destiny and this is why I am losing it right now”. Caroline Myss.
I had two choices: I could remain with those intoxicating, horrible feelings and thoughts for the rest of the week, month or my entire life. Or I could work on giving myself the best treatment of healing thru letting it go by focusing on my attitude and returning back to my own source which is LOVE.
How can you be prepared to return back to your own source when you hear bad news, comments or gossip that you are not expecting?
To stop the torment inside you these are some recommendations you can follow:
- Smile to whatever that person is saying to you, letting her/him know that the bad news, comment or gossip doesn’t bother you. Try to be kind and disappear, leave that person’s company as soon as possible.
- Drink cold water, and a lot of fluids.
- Go to a place that makes you feel relaxed. If it is a house, go to a bedroom and take off all your clothes to release the burning feeling.
- Go to the mirror and say positive affirmations to yourself, such as: “I AM LOVE”,”I AM WORTHY”, sing them and try to repeat them with positive energy and feelings. (Definition of Affirmation in my Writings: “AFFIRMATIONS FOR TRANSFORMATION”).
- Meditate for 15 minutes, I recommend “Relationships Wellbeing” by Abraham Hicks. (Instructions and definition of meditation in my Writings: “MEDITATION FOR INNER PEACE”).
- Read My Writing “AFFIRMATION / PRAYER FOR 2011” and “AFFIRMATION / PRAYER: FLY TO ALLOW HARMONY”.
- Talk to someone you trust and who you know can give you good advices.
- Pray for the person who told you the bad news or gossip; pray for the people, who had caused you the pain and frustration.
- Take a bath or shower with cold water. It will release the burning marks.
- To release tension write on your journal anything related with the difficulty you experienced or anything your feel like.
- Read and listen to self-growth materials.
- Practice the exercise “Dissolving Resentment” by Louise Hay (added at the bottom).
- Same day or the following day, go for one hour of swimming or any activity that can distract you from the pain.
- Try to pamper yourself by eating well or having a massage, manicure and pedicure.
- Look for anything that makes you happy such as listening to music, going to a karaoke, watching a funny movie, video or show. Try to laugh every day because it reduces physical and mental pain.
- Have lunch, tea or dinner with a friend or family members.
- Go for a walk, lay down on the grass or sand and let your mind be distracted by observing nature.
- Another exercise you can do is: Go to a solitary place in the house, take a pillow and hit it for as long as you want, cry at loud, scream, say anything that comes to your mind. If you feel it does not release your anger, take a knife and stab the pillow as much as you want, and say anything you think can release you from that agony. After that exercise you will feel lighter.
- Another solution is facing the truth by asking the person you think can give you the right answer.
- Relieve your daily routines, by creating a new plan or adopting a new hobby in your life.
These are healing powers for grief.
Remember you have to use all your survivor skills, take advantage of that opportunity and use your intuition. It can be hard to get focused, but do it for yourself. Don’t let any circumstance take away your peace of mind and harmony. Don’t hide in sentimentality feeling as a victim, feeling angry, resentful, humiliated, grieved and frustrated because it will interrupt your happiness. Be aware that the people who provoked your anger and discomfort came to this world to teach you that lesson and help you in your life expansion. They don’t even know the reason for their deeds. What happened occurred because it had to happen; it is not recommended to look for reasons. That doesn’t mean you had been bad or unfortunate, it occurred because it was meant to happen. Don’t live in regrets; forgive yourself, and that person. Happiness should be your journey. Some use different techniques, paths and pace, but all should be conducted toward your internal contentment.
Exercise: Dissolving Resentment, by Louise Hay
- Sit quietly, close your eyes and allow your mind and body to relax.
- Imagine yourself sitting in a darkened theater, and in front of you there is a small stage.
- On the stage place the person you resent the most. It could be someone from the past or the present, living or dead.
- When you see the person clearly, visualize that good things are happening to the person-things that will be meaningful to her. See her smile and happy.
- Hold that image for a few minutes, and then let it fade away.
- As this person leaves the stage, put yourself there, smiling and happy.
- Be aware that the abundance of the Universe is available for all of us.
“The above exercise dissolves the dark clouds of resentment most of us carry. For some, it will be very difficult to do. Each time you do it, you may get a different person. Do it once a day for a month and notice how much lighter you will feel”, Louise Hay states.
Circumstances shouldn’t ruin your moment of tranquility and peace. The biggest problem within you is that even though there are more than six things going well in your life, you tend to focus more on the one that is not, and it takes you out of control, under-empowering you and absolving all your energy. Don’t lose your time and strength focusing on something that you cannot change or resolve because it will not help you in your progression.
Change your attitude and be aware the past doesn’t have any authenticity anymore, so see it as an illusion.
Do whatever it takes to change your attitude and go back to your equilibrium. Today is the beginning of a new creation, start adopting new knowledge by recognizing that you can be in balance anytime you decide. You are the most valuable being on this world and you are full of love and this is what you want to radiate everywhere you go.
Roll-over to your natural state of being feeling appreciation for everything you have and start thinking positives thoughts, instead of thinking about what is missing and affecting you. Money, success, health, or anything else will not fulfill you, until you learn to appreciate yourself and what you possess. Happiness is a state of mind. You have choices; you are the one who decides if you want to “stay paralyzed” or “fly away.” You are the only one in control to push the button to go to a state of “happiness” or “frustration”. To develop an attitude of contentment, self-appreciation is the key. Plug it in and you will be in control!